Thursday, 21 February 2013
These vintage buckles are now in the Etsy shop Essential Curiosities at £2.50 each.
(Reminder to self: We are now over halfway through February so a half price January sale isn't really appropriate!)
Wednesday, 20 February 2013
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it’s queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
This was one of my Mother's favourite poems, consequently I'm rather fond of it myself.
More on the poet Robert Frost here.
Image courtesy of My Equestrian World.
Thursday, 14 February 2013
A tribute to the joy of dance...it's a wonderful thing - and it will make you smile
Great video featuring "All These Things That I've Done" by The Killers. All rights are theirs. Images gathered from pubic domain resources
1) Svetlana Zakharova - Swan Lake
2) Riverdance - Reel of the Sun
3) Michael Flatley - Lord of the Dance
4) Michael Jackson - Beat It
5) Gene Kelly, Cyd Charisse - Singing in the Rain
6) Elvis - Jailhouse Rock
7) Charlie Chaplin - Modern Times
8) John Travolta/Olivia Newton John - Grease
9) Jimmy Cagney - Yankee Doodle Dandy
10) Debbie Reynolds - Singing in the Rain
11) A Chorus Line
12) Patrick Swayze - Dirty Dancing
13) Natalie Wood/Richard Beymar - West Side Story
14) Al Nims & Leon James doing the Charleston
15) Maxim & Mel B - Dancing with the Stars
16) Elvis and Ann Margret - Viva Las Vegas
17) Michael Jackson from TV Special
18) Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers - Swing Time
19) Gene Kelly - Singing in the Rain
20) All That Jazz
21) Three Stooges get a dance lesson
23) Shirley Temple & Bill "Bojangles" Robinson - Just Around the Corner
24) Anne Reinking - All That Jazz
25) Nicholas Brothers - Stormy Weather
26) Wizard of Oz
Tuesday, 12 February 2013
"The thin plain fabric that had been woven around David Marr and Ivy Childess had now been interwoven with more exotic threads, perhaps obscuring rather than heightening the pattern in the carpet, There was also the disquieting knowledge that Macalvie was right, that solving the murder of Ivy Childess depended upon solving the murder of Sheila Broome."
Re-reading old Richard Jury murder mysteries by Martha Grimes this one's "I Am the Running Footman."
The Running Footman is a real pub in Mayfair, London, off Berkeley Square (pictured above) find out more about this historic public house here.
This is a Teaser Tuesday post, see more here, to join in :
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
Why pancakes ?
Legend tells us that a housewife was using up her eggs and milk before the Lenten fast began when she heard the church bells calling her to confession. Rather than put her cooking aside she ran off to church, complete with pan apparently tossing the "pancake" along the way!
5 more things about Shrove Tuesday:
1.Shrove Tuesday is the day before Lent begins.
2.Shrove Tuesday is also known as Pancake Day, Fat Tuesday and Mardi Gras.
3.It's the last day of being able to eat whatever you like before the ritual fasting of Lent.
4.Shrove Tuesday is 47 days before Easter Sunday.
5.Shrove comes from the word shrive which means to confess, traditionally people would go to church to confess their sins on Shrove Tuesday.
Image: Wiki Commons Belathee Photography